Saturday, July 18, 2009

Recommit. Again.

It seems the covering journey requires fresh commitments all the time. There are always those days that you could sneak by without it -- those moments when you think it's not all that necessary. Like today. I am meeting with some girlfriends from church; they always see me covered, so is it really necessary that I cover when attending a movie and dinner with them?

There are those days when you long to feel 'part of the crowd' again. There are certainly times when I think I am somehow more 'accessible' when I don't cover. I think perhaps my friends can relate to me better, or that perhaps I make them feel a tad less uncomfortable -- that I am still the same old Muhala.

But lately I've been thinking that I belong to covering and that covering belongs to me. It's what I've been called to. It's what I know. And, for now, anyway, it's what's right. It's not for others. It's not for me. It's for God. Walking out what we feel called to is not always an easy thing day after day after day. I'm trying to experiment with other covering styles, as I feel a little bored with my current one, and I long for something lighter with less fabric. It's easy to get by covered in the cooler months; wearing a heavier covering is cozy and warm. In the summer there are adjustments to make, but I still want to be covered from hairline to hairline...I just don't want to take 3 yards of fabric to do it in a way that appeals to me. I'm so struggling with that. But in the meantime, I still cover, trying not to let my frustration get the better of me.

Just a word of encouragement, ladies: don't be reluctant to commit afresh to this journey. Beware the spirit of compromise (the thrust of my deleted post) by minimizing the importance of covering and your call to it. Others will always have their opinions and their thoughts. Perhaps they mean no harm, but your covering is not their call to make. Remember how you got to this point. Remembery why you are here. Celebrate the call and walk it out in faithful obedience.

Connecting with a plain, headcovering, African-American sister, has inspired me to tone down flashy colors and patterns. I bought a few shirts from my favorite thrift store that are more simple and plain. And I feel more comfortable in them! I'm not saying that the Lord is calling me to be plain, but I do feel a call to simplicity, and sometimes that may mean more simple attire. Each of us has to determine how God is leading us as we continue to cover and move along in our covering journey. My dear, plain sister is taking lots of heat from her church over her covering. But she is sure. She is standing. And we must stand too.

Enjoy your weekend, beloved...

God's grace,
M

9 comments:

A Covered Sister said...

Muhala, I hear you on this. I need to renew my own commitment to Christ and covering. I am getting to the point where I sometimes question whether or not covering is necessary. Don't get me wrong, I still cover - I just need to reconnect with the Master for strength and perseverance. I very much appreciate your post of encouragement. Keep me in your prayers, sis!

Muhala Akamau said...

Dear one, I AM praying for you! Isn't this the way love sometimes is...familiarity and routine setting in? Even with regard to our own salvation, don't we sometimes take for granted the great gospel that forever changes our lives? I'm convinced that the same is true with covering: it becomes more routine and we easily forget why we are here. I need the reminder just as much as anyone else. So, I'm preaching to myself, too!
Hugs,
M

Regina Shea said...

Muhala,
We went to a conservative Mennonite church yesterday and believe me being there has helped me to know beyond the shadow of any doubt that wearing the covering is the right thing to do.
I think you should wear your covering. Do you sew?
You could do a triangular type of covering or you could order some from some of the Headcovering sites on the internet.

Muhala Akamau said...

Regina,
I'm so glad you got to a Mennonite church service! I would love to have been there; I'm still committed to the covering, even if I'm at a church that doesn't advocate it. And yes! I'm learning to sew, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been making my own coverings for a while now. I think the sewing machine will add lots of variety!
Grace to you!
M

Ms. Modest Fashion Cents said...

Hello dears!

On the practical end of things; there are some "lighter weight" varieties of head coverings that are great for summer.

What I've been doing lately is wearing the stretch laces under the bonnet type caps that I'd made myself. It works out well, and covers "hair line to hair line". I'll have to post how I make these bonnets if anyone is interested. They are pretty easy!

This here post has a picture of the "more abriviated" style I've been wearing lately.

http://modestfashioncents.blogspot.com/2009/06/closet-shopping-take-two.html

Maybe just give you some ideas. Spark that creative flair!

Also, I read a post once by another woman of African decent who was wearing a full time covering and her hair was breaking and falling out. Finally the solution she came up with was to wear silk scarves next to her hair. Muhala, I don't know if this is a problem for you; but for this other woman - that took care of it for her!

Just thought I'd pass on her tip!

Muhala Akamau said...

Thanks for the tips and the photos! This may be helpful for those of us looking for lighter weight coverings for summer. And yes, some black women do suffer from breakage without the silk scarves. Fortunately, though, my hair is probably healthier than when I didn't cover it! So far, so good. :-}

Grace,
M

Coveredwithjoy said...

I hope you do not mind me asking, what do you feel when you go see movies. Has the covering effected you in any way regarding that? After I really grew serious about the covering and my witness while doing so, I really felt that seeing movies and looking through the bargain bin at Wal Mart was going to hinder that. I know now everyone feels the same about movies, but I actually went through something akin to withdrawal when I no longer at a movie to escape with.

My heart attitude has been front and foremost lately. I can wear the cloth on my head, but yet be all full of bitterness. God has set me free, free to cover, but also free from those unseen things that bind me so.

Even I have been contemplating my color choices. Our church traditionally frowns upon prints, but I know I have some flashier colours. When we went fabric shopping this week, as much as I like the brighter colors, I let go of my urge and bought more subtle solids.

We are strangers and pilgrims on this earth. He called us to be separate from the world. We are to be clean and neat in our appearance, but we should not look like a glaring neon sign.

Uh oh! Baby needs help...
Kim

Muhala Akamau said...

Covered,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment. Perhaps the Lord deals with each of us differently; movies (given that the right ones are chosen!) have often been a source of joy and inspiration for me...I find such significance in the spiritually redemptive value of some movies. Many movies are junk. Maybe a good number of them are. The movie I saw with my girlfriends from church was a comedy, and we laughed a lot. There are lots of movies that bother my spirit so much, I can hardly finish them. I try to stay away from those. We are household of movie lovers, but I am much more selective of our titles these days.

I think with some, there are certain things that really stand out to us as important. Of course we are called to a holy life and to bear spiritual witness for God; indeed, we hope to be a light and to make a difference in our little corner of the world. I hope I am embracing balance in my life with Christ; reaching out to others that may not know Him, and connecting deeply with those who do. I pray not to be too one sided; I don't want to push others away, but draw them.

Some people won't watch movies because they think of it as worldly, but they may regularly over eat without a second thought about gluttony. I guess my point is that God has created us all so beautifully different, and He lays burdens on our heart as varied as the people we are. I am a large proponent of holy and godly living...sometimes that will look the same as another Christian's walk, and sometimes it may not. I think Romans (chapter 13? 14? I think 14) has a lot to say about that.

To be sure, my head covering has impacted my life on many levels...I really feel the transformation is ongoing...I can see change in areas I didn't give attention to before. And there are other areas that I might change in in the future. With that said, I'm thankful that God is on our side, patiently and lovingly walking beside us, and that the Holy Spirit gently nudges, reminds, reproves and directs. What a journey this is! Praise God!

M

katie said...

M,

Thank you for this post. Your honesty is refreshing- especially in the world of blogging where we have the opportunity (temptation?:)to make things (ourselves or our lives?:) seem better than they are. Your openness reveals the same issues in my own life and encourages me to deal with them and recommit rather than feeling down and out that my original committment can't just carry me through.

Thank you,

Katie