Monday, April 27, 2009

Waiting for Sons

Okay, this is the sort of motherhood thing that I so looked forward to. Children pulling dandelions, or other flowering weeds, from the yard and presenting them to Mommy. My boys know I love flowers, so these are ones Obi picked for me today. Aren't they sweet?

Obi is a dear child. Last night, as I was giving the boys a bath, he told me, "Mommy, I'm your husband." I said, "Oh, really? What does that mean then, if you are my husband?" His answer (so sweet, even if it really didn't make any sense!) was, "Um, I just thank God. I just thank God that I'm your husband.
!
I told Obi that this was one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. But that he couldn't be my husband, because Daddy was. Hubby said that Obi declaring that he was my husband shows that he is beginning to understand commitment and devotion --- that both boys are, because our youngest said that he wanted to be Miss Kristin's husband (one of my longtime girlfriends), and then Obi said that he was going to be Madison's husband (Kristin's daughter). So, yeah. I guess they are beginning to understand commitment. I do love that they see their Daddy doting on me. I want them to know how special a marriage relationship really is.

4 comments:

barrywallace said...

That's sweet. It's so important for boys to see their daddy doting on and loving their mommy.

Elzabet said...

So sweet! When little boys see their daddy loving on their mommy, they can't help but want to do that too!

Rosheeda said...

Awwww!!! How sweets!

Muhala Akamau said...

Barry,
Hubby and I hope to be a good example of a loving marriage to our boys. Lord knows we didn't have that. Everything we know, we learned from the word of God. We hope that by our example and the truth of God's word, they will someday be men of God who hunger after God, and who lovingly chase their wives all around the house!

Elizabet,
Thank you! It's so nice to see you here. As I'm writing the book, one of the women I'm writing about mentions you...I am meaning to come to your blog for a visit soon. Keep an eye open for me!

Ro,
They are SUCH sweet boys. This is (ages 2 and 3) such a wonderful stage. I wish I could freeze every moment..I wish I could slow down and remember their faces with perfect clarity, their snotty little noses when their spring allergies act up, and the way our youngest wants to be "Mama's baby"...he crawls up into my lap and pretends like he's about 25 pounds less than he actually is. It's such a powerful love...I feel of all women most blessed!

Grace,
M