Monday, February 16, 2009

Mama by Day, Writer by Night

I can't thank all of you enough for your outpouring of support on this head covering book effort. Sometimes I wonder how I manage to get myself into such things. What on earth would make me think I have the time and energy to pull together such a tall, tall order? Yet, I am convinced -- now more than ever -- that this is so much bigger than me, and that there is far greater a need for such a book than I earlier realized. So, a couple of things I need from you, if you will, dear ones:

1. Write me. I need your stories. Your stories will constitute the "real" experiences that women just like you and me will want (need!) to read about; it's these stories that will make up the "meat" of the book. Email me at write2muhala@gmail.com. Tell me a little bit of your story. Already women have responded, and I am just amazed at how unique everyone's story is! I may not be able to use all of your stories, but please don't assume that your story isn't unique! Please continue to write me and tell me a bit about yourself and your covering story. Please be patient with me. I will respond to every email I receive; it might take me a couple of days, but I will respond.

2. Pray for me. I'm just amazed that there are so many women out there who are new, or fairly new to covering. I think for every woman who finds this blog, there are many more looking for a supportive community of some sort --- they want to know they are not crazy, and that there really are other women out there just like them that have chosen to cover. Please pray that God's divine purpose would be accomplished and that this proposal will be accepted, if it pleases Him. Also, pray for me as I balance being a wife, a mother to toddlers and a homemaker while caring so much about seeing this book effort through to the end. I definitely need your prayers!

3. Pass the word around. Maybe you know someone who might want to share her story, too. Pass along my information to those you know who might be interested in partnering with this project. Already I have to thank readers who have passed along my info to someone they know who feels led to share their story. A special thanks also to those of you who have posted information on your blogs, linking here to my blog. I am moved almost to tears as I read your stories. It's amazingly apparant to me that God is in this thing. It's just amazing.

It's late and I need to be in bed. Thank you all, dear sisters. I am far more thankful for you than you can know.

God's grace...

9 comments:

Ahavah said...

lol! The word is already 'out' I've seen several of my favourite bloggers telling ladies to write their stories to you...

Mine is really boring. Honest. But still, if you are sure it will help you. I'll put fingers to keyboard.

:0D

Muhala Akamau said...

Ahavah,
Thanks...you know I'd come across some of those great bloggers, too! You ladies are sooo kind!

misschatterbox said...

Here a few thought provoking articles on headcovering I thought you might find interesting!Ill try and write you my story soon :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/02/8
http://www.jewlicious.com/2008/03/the-american-jewish-women-of-the-veil/
http://www.shebrew.com/2008/07/the-beauty-of-the-princess-is-within-her/
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/a-closer-look-at-the-iconic-headscarf-744337.html

Muhala Akamau said...

Misschatter...lovely!! Thank you much!

Hugs,
M

Coveredwithjoy said...

Just a quick note: I emailed this post to a lady that was instrumental in me covering. I can't believe I didn't mention her before. I hope she responds, she is a beautiful lady in the Lord.

Regina Shea said...

Muhala,
I'm also a black woman who covers but I'm a plain black woman who covers. There aren't that many out there. I'm happy to have found your site.

Regina

Muhala Akamau said...

Regina,
I'm glad you found my blog, too! Would you mind emailing me (see my profile for email addy)? You are right...I've found few black women who cover, and hardly any plain. It's a delight to have you visit. Please come by again.

barrywallace said...

I'm quite interested in your book, M. I'll be praying for you.

Muhala Akamau said...

Thanks so much, Barry! I can't tell you how much I need the prayers. I'm plugging right along, have sent out numerous queries, entire proposals and have gotten a few rejections. But that's par for the course, right? I sometimes tell myself that I must be crazy to be writing this! But still, I plug along. Thanks for dropping by.:-)

Grace,
M