Wednesday, January 14, 2009

An Open Door

It feels like life comes in waves...sort of the way understanding does. Like when a Bible passage you've read 20 times before hits you differently on that 21st reading. Suddenly certain passages ring with such clarity now. Like this one:

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2).

As believers, we read this passage (and many others) and take for granted what it means. Sure, we're called to be different; we're called to be like Christ...that's pretty much a no-brainer. But for the headcovering Christian woman, this passage takes on a new richness that is not to be taken for granted.

One of my friends (God love her) recently emailed me and wanted me to know that she supports my decision to cover. She didn't want me to think she didn't support me because we've not really had a deep discussion about it. I told her it was fine, and I'm not really about bashing my friends over the head with the book on covering --- it's just not my mode of operation. Some women have had really sweeping transformations with regard to covering and dressing more modestly. I described my experience to my dear friend in these terms: God was opening a door. I had a choice. I could walk through the door, or I could walk away from the door. If I walked away from the door, I already knew what awaited me: self-doubt, bondage, anxiety, defining my beauty by the world's standards, continued issues with body image, pride and vanity.

If, on the other hand, I walked through the door He was opening, I had a real chance at peace and freedom. I was now free to define my beauty by God's standard. I could exchange my pride and vanity for humility, wisdom and purity. I could turn off the noise of the world's lies and step into truth. It was just a door and the choice was mine.

I like to think I made the right choice. Some days I get up and it makes absolutely no sense to me. Then I think of my world B.C. (before covering), and I realize I'll take my chances on this side of the door. I don't need it to make sense at every single moment. I just need to remember that my reasons for being here were the right ones. And, as another covering blogger wrote, if I felt God was leading me in this direction, I'd rather err on the side of obedience than on the side of disobedience. And as an old friend once told me, if you're going to struggle, it's better to struggle inside the will of God than outside of it.

So, dear ones...press on...

6 comments:

Natasa said...

I'd rather err on the side of obedience than on the side of disobedience.... true... press on, dear sister...

Alana said...

Brilliantly well put!

...glad someone's coming up with some gems on this topic, 'cause it sure isn't me...

Muhala Akamau said...

Natasa,
You, as well dear one. Thanks for your visits.

Alana,
Yes, but do you know you have such a relateable blog? Sometimes it feels as though I could easily have written some of the things you write. You have the 'connectivity' factor...love that.

Grace, dear ones...

Momma Jo said...

Ahhh...what a great post. I can so relate to it all... scriptures having new meaning and the importance of being obedient to what God has called me to do; even if others find it odd, or satan tries to tell me it's not necessary!

Auntie eM said...

Ah, Muhala! What a wonderful explanation of logic, heart, and love to Jesus; may the Lord make you a visible sign of obedience - in gentleness and honesty. I wish I could have the same chance with sisters in the Lord who have known me for years b.c. As the Holy Spirit is doing this awakening and purification, surely we must continue to pray for others.
Auntie eM, The Salt Box

Muhala Akamau said...

Auntie eM,
Your words truly encourage the heart --- thank you!