Monday, December 8, 2008

Fix it and Forget It

As I'm able, I hope to continue to post photos of various styles of headcoverings, tips, etc. Experimenting is fun, when I find a few spare moments, and I sometimes stumble upon something I really like. The photo to the left is the headcovering I wore today. I was actually going for just the two long pieces hanging down in the back (the front I pulled back and gathered in a knot). But, as I was trying to pull one piece of cloth through the hole which was supposed to make the knot, I stumbled upon something new --- cloth gathered at the nape of my neck, with two interconnected "poofs" hanging below the gathered section. I kept the "poof" up with a couple of T-pins that I stuck through a decorative bead (I make jewelry, and I sometimes use a bead along with the T-pin to dress a headcovering up a bit. It also helps keep two pieces of cloth together. I've also used a post earring for a similar effect, and it's great to use on thinner fabric which is too delicate for a T-pin). It happened quite by accident, but I do think I will try it again. The look seemed to work with this length of cloth and the design. I used a similar photo taken today of the same headcovering I have on in this photo, dibbled and dabbled and experimented to come up with the blog photo you see behind my blog title. Just can't seem to figure out how to make the photo "stretch" so that it's the same width as the margins of my blog. If you've any idea how I could do this, please let me know!

Yesterday, I went to church wearing the "not-quite-hijab" headcovering you saw in my last blog post. Hubby told me I looked good, so I'm hoping that means he liked it! But what was I doing in church, but sitting there thinking about my headcovering? Wondering what people thought of me. Wondering if someone might say something to me. Wondering if people think I'm converting to Islam. Then yesterday, someone joined our church who had on hijab!! I was thinking, "Lord, if she is converting over to Christianity, please let her keep her headcovering!"

I know. That's bad.

The truth is, I just gotta relax. I plan to wear a headcovering indefinitely...that could be for the rest of my life. How much of my time will I waste thinking about what's on my head? And what other folks think about what's on my head? I'd really much rather just live faithfully, obediently and abundantly. I'd really much rather be too much about the business of living, giving, serving and loving to give much thought to what's on my head. But I do want what's on my head to be a sign...a symbol of remembrance for me. How I behave, the words that I speak, the things that I think and meditate on --- all of these should be in keeping with what my headcovering represents and what it says about my devotion to God.

I know I'm fairly new to this journey, but I really just want to fix it on my head, and go on living. We'll see how things go next Sunday at church.

Enjoy your night, beloved...

7 comments:

Natasa said...

this style is very nice...about forgeting... it will come with time, don't worry...

Muhala Akamau said...

Natasa,
I'm hanging in there...trying to be patient with myself! Still, thanks for the reminder. You are a dear.

Rosheeda said...

I have another really good friend and always the Lord has me remind her of this one thing: His work in us is a process. Nothing comes overnight. Be patient with yourself and with Him.

And yeah, I have to be reminded of this pretty often too.

light and good order said...

beautiful, beautiful covering.

Muhala Akamau said...

Ro,
I read your comment today JUST when I needed it. Being patient with myself is easy to say, but hard to do!

Light and Good,
Thanks! Think I'll pop in and see what's new in your neck of the woods!

misschatterbox said...

again, and all too familiar feeling! The funny thign new headcoveres (including me!)want other people to feel its no big deal and just forget about it.. but do the very opposite! From obessing over styles, materials, looks and people's reactions and more! The truth is it takes a while to "calm down".. but I don't think theres anythign wrogn with that.. its a big decision and lifechange! One of my freinds recently turned vegan and we laugh about how his reaction wassimiliar to mine in a way.. encountering people's reactions, looking for support - exploring the new things he can and cannot eat! it will take a while for your new "diet" to feel normal and most of all unpractised.. somethign you don't need to think about. Until then.. enjoy the rollercoaster ride!

A Covered Sister said...

Beautiful covering! You have been blessed with creativity! By the way, what's up with the new sister? Is she still covering? No doubt she was comforted to see you there. God has you in the right place at the right time. God bless you!