Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lazy is a Four Letter Word

Recently it dawned on me just how lazy I'd been with regard to being more modestly dressed. I remember some years back I'd put on a tank top (it was a hot summer and we had no central air) that was showing lots of skin. I remember saying, "I can't wear this." I took it off and tossed it in the draw to be worn beneath a shirt or as a pajama top. I'd felt God's Spirit, at that moment, expressing disapproval, and I responded.

Over at my other blog, Testimony and Truth, I once wrote how I'd left the house feeling like something was wrong with how I looked, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I later came to the realization that my outfit was too sexy, and I wrote about it here. I think the post I wrote over at T&T was the beginning of me seriously responding to what I felt God was speaking to me about dress and apparel.

But I know in the past (and I still deal with it a bit), I've just been lazy about changing. I'll get something on, the skirt is snug and shows off curves, and I know I probably should change, but I just don't feel like it. Too much work. I'm already running late. The kids are already in the car, and I don't have the time to run back into the house and change. Excuses that really amount to nothing more than being lazy.

To be sure, it takes a certain amount of discipline to cover and to be modest. To get up and cover when you don't feel like covering. To change when the ensemble just does not work and isn't in keeping with your values of modesty. In the post over at T&T, I wrote about coming to the realization that I want how I look on the outside to correspond with the values I have on the inside.

Last week I had another episode. Okay, so I had on a long shirt that wasn't flattering and that covered my bottom. But my jeans were just too snug. The kids were buckled in the car and the key was almost in the ignition. But I told the boys I'd be right back, and I ran into the house and upstairs to change. Annoying and a little inconvenient? Yes. But I'd save myself trouble if I just make sure I'm right before walking out that door. The commitment to covering and dressing modestly is indeed just that --- a commitment. You don't take days off and you don't slide by, hoping it's not "too bad".

Enjoy your day, beloved...

5 comments:

Natasa said...

I can relate to this...

Azalea Lilac said...

God bless your commitment to modesty! What joy to be modest!

Azalea Lilac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LisaM at ThoseHeadcoverings said...

Exactly! May you be encouraged and strengthened...

James Tubman said...

oh momma

you and your sexy outfits lol