Thursday, November 6, 2008

First Eden, Now This

When I came face to face with the fact that this covering journey must begin, I knew it wasn't just about covering my head; it was about covering my body.

I looked into my closet and sighed. "Help me, Lord."

I feel like I'm starting all over again. There is much in my wardrobe, thankfully, that I can keep. But there are a lot of things that have to go. We have small closets in our house, and I've always said that small closets keep us honest; we can't be packing a bunch of junk in there. We must choose wisely.

As you might imagine, there are quite a few summer dresses that will have to go. A couple of pair of snug jeans have got to bite the dust. Shirts that draw the eyes to my bosom need to get kicked to the proverbial curb. So here's the game plan (I must start somewhere):

I'm upping my sizes. Instead of small, I'll begin to buy my sweaters and shirts in a medium. I'll go up one size in my slacks, as well. Along with being more comfortable, I think this will draw attention away from the body parts I only want hubby to see.

My favorite chain store in these parts is a thrift store with great clothes at amazingly low prices. I buy most of my clothes and shoes there. I've recently done a bit of shopping and am picking up new-to-me clothing items here and there. I hope to slowly, piece by piece, eventually create a wardrobe of very modest clothes that I feel comfortable and pretty in.

Until that wardrobe is fully built, in the meantime, I'm trying to work with what I have. I have found that long wraps and scarves are especially helpful for covering. I recently invested in a few long scarves (in various colors) that I can wrap around my waist, drape over my torso or use to cover my head. These have been lifesavers for me when I've found that some of the clothes in my closet aren't as loose as I'd like them to be. I also joined an online group of women who swap modest clothing, as needed.

So for now, I'm getting by, and getting used to this new way of life. I wrap my head at night, and keep my head covered when I pray, but the other morning I prayed before realizing that my headcovering had fallen off throughout the night. Then another time, I was downstairs ironing and began talking with the Lord, and into that prayer, I realized my head was uncovered, and so I snatched a t-shirt nearby and tossed it on my head. It does take some getting used to, but the Lord is rich in mercy and grace. And I am so thankful for that!

Grace, beloved...

P.S. Since I wrote this post, my neighbor asked me what size clothing I wear. When I told her my jeans were an 8, she said "I knew it! One of my friends asked me if I knew anyone who wears an 8 or a 10, and I at first I said 'no', but when I pulled into my driveway, I thought of you. I'm going to go tell her when I get back home." My neighbor is an older, faithful Christian woman who is a widow and whose children are now grown. She told me her friend has a lot of clothes...too many clothes...and that they are taking up too much room in her house and that she needs to get rid of them. Let's hope there are plenty of modest picks in this group when I get them!

3 comments:

Natasa said...

why do you wear covering during the night?

Muhala Akamau said...

I wonder if this is a cultural thing? I and other black women were raised to 'tie up' our hair at night. Maybe we'd just gotten it freshly washed, pressed and curled; maybe we wanted to keep the straight hair from reverting or what have you...I think it may be a cultural thing. Wrapping the hair at night keeps it 'together' better and longer. Also, where Caucasian women like to keep the oil OUT of their hair, black women with more textured hair often suffer from DRY hair, so we moisturize our hair to keep it from being dry. I don't want the moisturizer to get on my pillow cases, so I wrap for that purpose, too. Hope that helps.:-)

Natasa said...

Thank you for explanation... huh, we are the same and in the same time so different...ah, this cultural thing...